United States Department of State Pan-African Youth Leadership Program (PAYLP) Alumni All-Stars 2023
What is the application deadline?
October 1, 2022
Tell me about the Pan-African Youth Leadership Program:
Funded by the U.S. Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and implemented by Meridian International Center, the Pan-African Youth Leadership Program engages participants from more than 38 African countries in a training program of cultural exchange and US-based civic engagement.
To bring together the best PAYLP alumni from all cohorts (2013-2022) and countries, the Pan-African Youth Leadership Program offers a unique All-Stars Alumni Program. This program is designed to offer talented, hardworking and highly motivated PAYLP African graduates the opportunity to spend three weeks in the United States for an intensive leadership training and development program between February and March 2023.
The program consists of a short orientation conference in Atlanta, Georgia, where participants will be welcomed and given an overview of the program, followed by a two-week community leadership program held in one of three US cities. During this part of the program, participants will receive leadership training, networking and volunteer opportunities, and cultural experiences. The program will conclude with a closing forum in Washington, DC, where participants will present community action plans. At the end of the program, participants will have the opportunity to apply for funding to implement their community action plan. This year’s PAYLP All-Stars will focus on the following skills:
- Leadership Development
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Peace building and conflict resolution
- Community activism
What kind of reward is it?
Who can apply for the Pan-Africa Youth Leadership Program?
CANDIDATES MUST :
- Be an adult mentor or youth participant of any 2013-2022 in-person or virtual PAYLP cohort.
- Be at least 18 years of age or older at the start of the program, February 18, 2023.
- Be from one of the eligible countries including Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Senegal , Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities in their university or community;
- Demonstrate a commitment to community service and extracurricular activities;
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and curious;
- Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive in-person program, community service, and active educational travel program during the exchange, as well as follow-up activities afterwards in their home country, such than outreach to others in the country cohort.
- Based in home country or showing intent to return to support home community.
- Be in possession of a valid national passport or be able to obtain one before January 1, 2023.
- Be willing and able to obtain a covid vaccination to travel.
- Strong applicants will be active in the PAYLP network, have completed a successful project supporting their community.
- Not be employed by the US Embassy.
- *Participants with diverse backgrounds and skills are encouraged to apply, including those with disabilities.*
Which countries are eligible?
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia.
Where will the prize be taken?
3-Week Advanced Leadership Exchange in the USA
How many positions will be allocated?
What is the benefit of the Pan African Youth Leadership Program?
How long does the program last?
3 weeks (February – March 2023)
How to Apply for the Pan African Youth Leadership Program?
The application must be submitted via our Formsite link: here