Friday, January 7 2022

Young South Africans are calling for tougher coronavirus measures as the country reports a spike in cases and declares a second wave.

South Africa on Wednesday reported 6,700 new cases, the highest since August, bringing the total number of cases since the outbreak to more than 800,000 with more than 22,000 deaths.

The situation is expected to worsen at the start of the holiday season, with many trips and celebrations.

“It’s been a tough year, people want to party, but, you know, I think the government should impose tighter restrictions on similar gatherings because now I see the gatherings have gone up instead of down,” student Mohau Mkhabela said.

“I think there was a little mistake, a little blunder on their side.”

South Africa’s new wave is expected to grow so rapidly that it could overwhelm hospital capacity in some areas, the country’s Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has warned.

“This thing (COVID-19) wasn’t going as fast as it is right now, and I just think it might be the Eastern Cape, the hot spots, these four provinces, the ones that l ‘so called hot spots, should be locked down and implemented level five lockdown,’ said Sinalo Madolo, an administrator.

“It’s the best situation to go back to level five, because now people think it’s all back to normal and they don’t have masks.”

No lockdowns were announced, but last week President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a ban on the sale of alcohol and a curfew.

The government says young South Africans are driving the new wave, as the largest number of new cases are in the 15-19 age group.

The spike was blamed on large numbers of young people attending parties, where they consume alcohol and do not wear masks or maintain social distancing.

Previous

Africa's 'youth employment' crisis is in fact a 'missing jobs' crisis

Next

Changemaker and feminist committed to empowering African youth

Check Also